Anxiety is a common but serious mental health condition affecting millions of Americans. At Lake House Academy, we help teens and pre-teen girls learn to cope with anxiety. Our therapeutic boarding school for teen girls prioritizes both academic success and emotional healing through immersion into experiences of a healthy lifestyle and safe relationships.
Learn more about anxiety in teenage girls and how Lake House Academy can help your daughter.
What Is Anxiety?
Anxiety disorders are the most common mental health conditions in America, affecting nearly 40 million people. Anxiety, like depression, is indiscriminate and affects men and women of all ages. However, females suffer from anxiety twice as much as males, and girls between the ages of 10 and 18 are especially prone to anxiety disorders.
There are several types of anxiety disorders that can affect your daughter.
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Teens with generalized anxiety disorder have trouble controlling their anxiety and worry about more than one thing. This can cause depression, insomnia and a change in eating habits.
- Panic Disorder: Panic disorder causes panic attacks that can leave your child breathless, dizzy and nauseous. They can occur without triggers.
- Separation Anxiety Disorder (SAD): Children who suffer from SAD have intense fears that something bad will happen to their parents or themselves if they are not together.
- Social Anxiety Disorder: More than teen anxiety, children who have a social anxiety disorder are consumed with fear in social situations. They withdraw from friends, refusing to go to school, and may even stop going to public places.
The good news is that anxiety disorders are very treatable with psychotherapy, physical exercise, improved nutrition and sometimes medication.
Symptoms of Anxiety in Teenage Girls
Anxiety affects nearly all aspects of life and can have negative effects on academic performance, physical health, and behavioral health. Anxiety can look different in each child, with some children experiencing nearly all symptoms and others experiencing just a few.
Symptoms of anxiety in teen girls include:
- Concentration and memory problems
- Attention problems
- Excessive worry
- Task avoidance
- Rapid speech
- Withdrawal from social circles
- Increased heart rate
- Muscle tension
Treating Anxiety at Lake House Academy
If your daughter is experiencing anxiety, Lake House Academy can help. Our holistic, unique approach to care is outcomes-based, which means we know it works. Expertly prioritizing both therapy and academics, we know our students leave Lake House Academy emotionally, physically and socially better.
Our therapeutic boarding school for girls between the ages of 12-16 uses a clinical model, weaving together both Theraplay and attachment-focused therapy. We provide customized healing for the whole family that is attainable and tangible. Your daughter can get better. We can help. Call Lake House Academy at 855-212-5983 and start your journey today.